Darkman's gun review - AA-12

• Click to go back to the Gun Reviews Hub

452067bf-a6ac-4c78-88cb-73690ad89a99-image.png

Overview

The AA-12 is an American auto shotgun.
    It is unlocked at Rank 112!

This shotgun fires the regular 8 pellets per shot and deals 28 -> 19 damage per pellet, it lasts until 50 studs, it also has the largest spread of all the shotguns making this thing unreliable for range.
    It has normal muzzle velocity with average penetration and low suppression!

The big advantage of this shotgun is the fact that it is fully automatic, it fires at 300 RPM from 8 round magazines.
    This empties your AA-12 fast but not without some easy kills, despite the large spread and low damage, one shot might not be enough to kill your enemies at a time so use the fully automatic ability to fire another shot into your enemy!
    It has 56 ammo in reserve and reloads a fairly fast 2.5 seconds or 3.1 if empty!

The recoil is relatively low but due to the AA-12's high fire rate, it goes everywhere, use a Compensator to fix this!
    Hipfiring is relatively more accurate on this gun!

The iron sights are really tall and hard to use, it is recommended to replace them.
    Alternatively you can press T to alt aim like every other shotgun!

Shotgun ammo analysis

Flechette:

Increases penetration and maximum range for less ammo reserve and max damage!

• Damage: 22.4 -> 19
    • Max range: 60
    • Penetration: 1.5
    • Ammo reserve: 40

Flechette on this gun will drop your close range damage to the point you need to hit 5 pellets to kill, making it a poor choice for this shotgun unless you really want that penetration!

Birdshot:

Increases pellets fired per shot and max range for less muzzle velocity, penetration, damage and ammo reserve!

• Damage: 26.6 -> 17.1
    • Pellets fired: 16
    • Max range: 60
    • Penetration: 0.1
    • Muzzle velocity: 900

No real damage impacts, but spread is increased due to the lower muzzle velocity!
    Makes a shotgun with low accuracy even less accurate!

Rubber Pellets:

Increases max damage and suppression for less pellets, less minimum damage, less penetration and various other stats.

• Damage: 36.4 -> 17.1
    • Range: 45 -> 70
    • Pellets fired: 6
    • Torso multiplier: x0.9
    • Penetration: 0.1
    • Suppression: 5.0
    • Recoil: Overall decreased!

Makes your shotgun be able to 3 hit enemies up close and cause extreme suppression however it limits the pellets fired to 6 per shot, decreasing the amount of hits you can give an enemy and becomes absolutely horrible to use at long range.
    The x0.9 torso multiplier drops the damage to 32.76 -> 15.39 so try to hit the limbs or the head!

Slugs:

Massive increase in damage while only firing 1 big and more accurate pellet!

• Damage: 82 -> 41
    • Torso multiplier: x1.2
    • Headshot multiplier: x2.0
    • Pellet spread: 0.435
    • Muzzle velocity: 1800
    • Penetration: 2.0

While other shotguns would turn into snipers or DMR's, this gun would turn into a Battle Rifle, it still has too much spread to be used for long range.
    This thing would 2 hit anything up close or a 1 hit if you hit the head, but past 50 studs it will become a 3 hitter or 2 hit if you headshot.

Semi-Auto Conv.

Turns your AA-12 into a civilian version of the gun, removing the unique ability of being fully automatic.

(+) Firemode set to Semi.
    (+) Decreased pellet spread!
    (+) Allows a shell in the chamber!
    (-) Removed auto firemode.
    (-) Decreased recoil recovery speed!
    (-) Decreased fire rate to 250 RPM!

Basically turns your AA-12 in a semi shotgun while being more accurate and allows a shell to be left in the chamber, making it have 8+1 ammo or 20+1 if you use the drum.
    The lower fire rate and recovery speed are to discourage autoclicker users.

94448106-2d9f-4ea4-b151-28479609e63e-image.png

20rd Drum

Gives your AA-12 the iconic 20 round drum magazine!

(+) Increased magazine capacity to 20!
    (-) Decreased ammo reserve to 40!
    (-) Increased pellet spread!
    (-) Increased reload duration significantly!
    (-) Decreased aim speed!
    (-) Decreased walk speed!

If you want this large drum magazine, you will have to accept all these cons, but you can fight off the pellet spread nerf with the Semi-Auto Conv.

Attachments

The AA-12 has some unique attachments being the Long Barrel, Romanian Grip, Hera CQR Grip, Semi-Auto Conv. and 20rd Drum!
    Since this gun is a shotgun, it has access to Flechette, Birdshot, Rubber Pellets and Slugs ammo!

If you want a loadout, I recommend you this:

• Mini Sight
    • Compensator
    • Angled Grip
    • Tri Laser
    • 20rd Drum

Trivia

• Keep in mind that atleast 1 pellet of your shotgun will always stay 100% accurate in the center of your shot!
    • According to Shay, he failed multiple times making the AA-12 before.
    • At one point, you were able to combine Flechette and the 20rd Drum, this made the AA-12 the most hated gun in Phantom Forces surpassing the BFG 50.
      • During that time, the 20rd Drum did not increase spread and Flechette had more penetration and more damage.
      • The AA-12 today is still hated but not as much anymore.
    • It is possible in real life to use explosive FRAG-12 ammo in this gun, this is shown in the game Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony
      • Another gun capable of equipping it is the KS-23M!

My opinion on this gun

While weak and unreliable for one shotting enemies, you and I can admit that it is satisfying to use a shotgun that is fully automatic.
    I haven't used it for a while though because of all the hate it gets.

But still, every other shotgun outguns this thing.

I rate this gun a 8/10!

Click to go back to the Gun Reviews Hub

• Wait...

There’s explosive ammo for KS-23M?

• CamaroKidBB Not ingame, but IRL.

• Darkman_Bree I know... duh.

But are there any pics of the explodey ammo in question? I’m genuinely curious.

• CamaroKidBB Right here.
    FRAG-12

• KommandoKazumi Neato.

I guess I should have seen this coming, considering the KS-23M is 23mm and made from anti-aircraft barrels.

• CamaroKidBB The KS-23M also has a solid steel slug meant to kill car engines.

I do not doubt it's lethality, but I do doubt it's ballistics beyond 10 meters.

• Darkman_Bree said in Darkman's gun review - AA-12:

20rd Drum
    Gives your AA-12 the iconic 20 round drum magazine!
    (-) Decreased pellet spread!

Don't you mean increased?

• dany47474747 Yikes, I might've made some AA-12 users very happy with that.