Darkman's gun review - AK103

• Click to go back to the Gun Reviews Hub

0d295642-7abf-462e-9935-e91d7dd0f524-image.png

Overview

The AK103 is a further modernized version of the AK series, part of the AK-100 series.
    All wood is gone, it's all metal and polymer now!
    It is unlocked at Rank 103!

This AK has better recoil control of the other 7.62x39mm AK's but it is weaker.
    While this AK is weaker, it still does 3 hit kill up close and 4 hit at far distances.
    Use the optional burst mode to prevent ammo waste, that burst will be enough to kill your enemy entirely if all shots hit at close range.

While the AK103 for the rest is not much different from the AK47 and AKM, it also has a weaker suppression, having 0.5 suppression compared to the AK47/AKM's 0.8 suppression.

Much like the other AK's, the iron sights are easy to use, however the railing might be disturbing.

71185254-8c28-4b9e-9e39-ae3beea6683e-image.png

BARS Barrel

This gun has access to the BARS Barrel attachment, turning your gun into the AK109.

Using this will boost your fire rate from 600 to 850, Increases headshot multiplier to x1.49 and reduce a ton of vertical recoil.
    However, damage is lowered to 33 -> 25, aim speed is reduced and the recoil becomes very weird.

Almost all vertical recoil is gone, but there's some horizontal recoil left, and camera recoil kicks downwards now.

8cb5335f-2176-4f72-ae58-cb917eae8701-image.png

5.56 Conv.

This ammo will pretty much turn your AK103 into the AK101 using 5.56x45mm NATO, however due to the BARS Barrel's existance, the gun won't be renamed.

Damage is reduced to 36 -> 24.5 and damage range is reduced, but magazine capacity is increased to 35 and ammo reserve to 140 using Galil magazines.
    Suppression reduced, Muzzle velocity increased and less recoil!

Attachments

The AK103 has quite some unique attachments, being the Short Barrel, Long Barrel, BARS Barrel, Romanian Grip, Hera CQR Grip, Remove Stock, Retract Stock and 5.56 Conv.

• The Long Barrel gives your AK103 a RPK barrel with bipod, but that bipod is unusable.
    • The Short Barrel shrinks your barrel to the same length as the AK105.
    • Interestingly, the 5.56 Conv and BARS Barrel can be combined!

If you want a loadout, I recommend you this:

• OKP-7
    • Compensator
    • Angled Grip
    • Tri Laser

The Compensator should be replaced with a Muzzle Brake if you decide to use 5.56 Conv. as ammo.

Trivia

• At one point, a special recoil was tested that made this gun almost unusable, thankfully this got scrapped.

My opinion on this gun

No special feelings towards this gun.
    But with the recent changes, this gun has become very customizable, and I thank Mar for that.
    This gun is still a strong AK, might even be more accurate than the AKM?

I rate this gun a 9/10.

Click to go back to the Gun Reviews Hub

• If you use BARS barrel, 5.56 is definitely a must to also run. Another thing to consider too is that 5.56 on AK-105 increases recoil, while on the 103 it decreases it. This is much more noticeable with the BARS barrel on both. This is something I brought up and suggested changes to a while back that Mar also flipped on, but we’ve since both kissed and made up on (hopefully).

• .366 TKM conversion for AK103 when? (https://ak.kalashnikovgroup.ru/card/tg2)

• T0x1cL Well, thats technically the last 7.62 AK without the VPO conv. so sure.

(AK12C does not count)

• Completely forgot about it's burst mode here, I knew it had one, goddamnit...

• Darkman_Bree and a .366 TKM variant actually exists for the AK103 unlike for the original Kalashnikov and the RPK